There is something incredibly satisfying about home-made ice cream. Whilst it's not the healthiest option, it is certainly good for the soul! Try this recipe which has added fibre from almonds and roasted hemp seeds to ease at least some of your guilt.
- 650ml cream
- 650ml full cream milk
- 12 egg yolks
- 380g white sugar
- 120g roasted whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Vasse Valley Roasted Hemp Seed Crumble
- Place milk and cream in a saucepan and bring to boil, then turn off heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale.
- Carefully pour the hot milk mix over the yolks and sugar and mix well.
- Pour back into the pan and return to a low heat.
- Continue whisking the ice cream base until it begins to thicken slightly. This usually takes about 5-6 minutes.
- Strain mixture into a bowl over ice water.
- Once cool add the almonds and hemp.
- Churn in an ice cream machine. Alternatively, place mixture in a plastic container in the freezer until frozen at the edges. Remove from freezer. Beat with an electric beater. Re-freeze. Repeat this process two more times.
Makes about 1.5 L ice cream.
This recipe is brought to you by Vicky Austin – Sous-chef at Basalt Restaurant, Bunbury, Western Australia